Today I found myself in line at the municipal courthouse. I was there to contest a ticket I received while talking on my phone in a school zone. Wait, you say. Aren't you a teacher? Why yes, I am. Then how, you might ask, did you get a ticket in your very own school zone? Well, I'm an idiot. Now that we cleared that up, may I continue?
When you're waiting in line to see the municipal clerk, and again in a courtroom to see the judge (where they won't even let you read your KINDLE), and again in another line to pay your fines, you have a lot of time to think. And that's what I did. I thought about how scared I was to see the judge, and I wondered what he would be like. How vindictive would he be? What sort of mood was he in? How could I convince him to dismiss my ticket?
Then I thought about what the line to see God will be like. And how I'll be with all sorts of different people. Some will have no criminal record (like moi) and some will have violations a mile long (like the polite gang member boy sitting next to me), but each of us is guilty. I'm thankful that I don't have to stand before God alone and try to convince him I should be forgiven. Jesus will be there acting as my defense attorney, declaring me innocent because I'm his.
I pled guilty today, but the kind judge deferred my ticket and will dismiss it as long as I don't commit any other violations for 90 days. Start prayin' for me, y'all. You know how I am behind the wheel!
3 comments:
What in the world did you say to get him to defer? What did you wear....?
What in the world did you say to get him to defer? What did you wear....?
Ha ha! It was actually a female judge, and she pretty much offered everyone the same couple of options. Seems as though if you go through the trouble to show up to court, they have mercy on you!
Post a Comment